6 Tips for Packing and Moving Electronics
Electronics are fragile and most of us cannot imagine living without our computers and televisions. Electronics is a central part of our lives and we want them to survive a move. Today, we would like to share some great tips for packing your electronics and making sure that they do not get damaged when you move to a new home.
- When buying electronics, keep the packaging. Find the packaging you got your device in and pack it and all its attachments in the original packaging. This will make sure that it is protected by the necessary materials and that everything is moved together. It will help all the little bits and pieces and attachments stay together.
- Get the right packing materials. If you didn’t save the original packaging, get the necessary bubble wrap, cable ties, etc. to secure your devices and prevent damage while moving. Use resealable bags to keep remotes, screws, cables, etc. together and throw it in the same packaging as the device. Alternatively, you can tape the loose packages to the device’s packaging.
- Don’t throw a bunch of electronics together. Pack your electronic devices separately. If you have the original packaging this should be easy. If you need to make your own packaging, wrap and pack each device on its own. This will help prevent damage and get everything on the other side in one piece.
- Get the packing boxes ready. Even if you have packed your appliances in original packaging, you should pack these boxes in bigger moving boxes. You never know what will happen to loose electronics when loaded like that on the truck. This is especially important if you’re moving to another country and your belongings have a long trip. Construct sturdy boxes and pack your devices in them with as little moving space as possible. Items that have space to bang against each other can get damaged. If there are spaces, fill them up with newspaper, bubble wrap, or soft items like clothing or towels.
- Seal and label everything. Once everything is securely packed in the moving box, make sure you seal it properly and label it. Secure heavy boxes with extra tape and padding. Labelling each box helps you unpack faster and prevents a very frustrating search for devices.
- Pack the truck carefully. Heavy electronics should be packed at the bottom in the truck. Lighter electronics can be placed on top of the heavier ones. If the heavy boxes are packed at the top, it will damage the other boxes.
Many removalists companies do the wrapping and packing for you, but it will make their jobs easier and faster if you disconnect and pack your electronics before they get there. They can pack the individual electronics in their packaging in the bigger boxes. To ensure that everything you want together is together, pack the electronics yourself. This will make things a lot easier.